Newsletter – February 2016
Welcome to the newest edition of ONEC Advantage: our quarterly newsletter that highlights the most exciting news, achievements and information from ONEC. We hope this quick summary provides you with deeper insight into how we work and how we can help you work better.
DOUBLE THE RECOGNITION FROM ALBERTA VENTURE
ONEC is proud to say that we made Alberta Venture’s 2016 Fast Growth 50 list — twice. This exclusive list acknowledges and applauds the efforts of the 50 fastest growing companies across Alberta. ONEC Construction was ranked as #11, while ONEC Engineering was ranked as #34. This outstanding duel recognition is a firm testament of our unified and collective efforts for continuous growth and improvement.
We’re thrilled for ONEC Construction to make this year’s list with such an impressive first showing: 67% revenue growth year-over-year. ONEC Engineering was also included among Alberta’s most distinctive companies last year, and we’re excited to report another 20% increase in revenue since then. We look forward to maintaining our position in the new year and building on our success.
To view the full 2016 Fast Growth 50 List, click here.
TOP STORY IN “U of A ENGINEER MAGAZINE”
ONEC recently made headlines as the top story in the 2015 fall edition of “U of A Engineer Magazine.” The issue, which was released shortly before the holiday season and distributed to all engineering graduates of the University of Alberta, highlights and recognizes the success ONEC has achieved from our team approach and our integration of different disciplines. We’re proud of the work we’ve done and the challenges we’ve overcome to build a successful company that’s rich with interdisciplinary skills — a company that thrives because of our teamwork.
EHT INSTALLATION TRAINING KEEPS BUSINESS HOT
Winter’s here, and we’re all feeling the chill. If you haven’t already, now’s the time to get trained on Electric Heat Tracing (EHT) and avoid the costs and headaches associated with equipment breakdowns, ruptured pipes, loss of safety systems, production downtime and outages. Our upcoming EHT installation training dates and EHT controller programming training dates are listed below:
Upcoming EHT Installation Training dates:
Friday, February 5, 2016
Friday, February 19, 2016
Upcoming EHT Controller Programming Training dates:
Friday, February 12, 2016
Friday, February 26, 2016
ONEC offers complete EHT services, including engineering and design, installation and inspections, and third party design audits. Our specialized and experienced team of EHT professionals can assist you with your plant weatherization program, leveraging strong relationships with suppliers to provide the best equipment to suit your needs. What’s more, we work hand-in-hand with our construction experts to ensure each and every design is cost-effective, safety compliant, practical and buildable.
For additional information on our EHT services, please contact Adam Link at 780-440-0400.
KEY PROJECT UPDATES
ONEC continues to keep busy and keep projects moving. Some of our company and project highlights for this quarter include the following:
- ONEC is expanding into southern Saskatchewan (aka Rider Nation), and we’ve hired our first employee, Mike Ross, in this region. We’ve recently completed some large projects and shutdowns in this area. One such project includes the recent design, fabrication, inspection, testing, and shipment of a Glycol Heating Skid for a co‐op refinery in Regina. The system we implemented utilizes plant steam to heat glycol in a compact heat exchanger. It also includes a distribution pump and various controls to circulate the glycol to various users at the co‐op facility.
- ONEC has also just finished seven steam trap pumping skids for the Northwest Upgrader and Tundra Process Solutions. These skids will be installed at the new upgrader that’s being constructed near Redwater.
REGIONAL FINALISTS FOR CANADA’S BEST MANAGED COMPANIES
ONEC was recognized as a top ten Alberta finalist for Deloitte Canada’s Best Managed Companies award. This award acknowledges Canadian owned and managed companies — with revenues over $10 million — that have achieved excellence in areas such as sustained growth, financial performance and management practices. Every year, hundreds of entrepreneurial companies compete for this designation in a rigorous evaluation process. ONEC’s thrilled with our overall performance and will continue to pursue this award next year.
In 2015, ONEC’s Community Committee was hard at work supporting a wide range of organizations, which included Little Warriors, the Edmonton Food Bank, World Vision Canada, the Montrose School BBQ, Tools for Schools and the Engineering Day of Caring.
Community highlights for this past quarter include the following:
This holiday season, we collected 206 items to support the United Way’s Coats for Kids & Families program.
Our staff members celebrated our second year of participation in the Waverley School Christmas Lunch program. This school has a very high number of low-income families and children with special needs. Our staff members assisted in providing lunch to these children. For some, this might’ve been the only Christmas meal they received.
RECENT ADDITIONS TO THE TEAM
This was a busy quarter for ONEC, and we’re pleased to announce many new members to our ever-expanding team.
- Mike Ross joins us as our Construction Manager for the Regina region.
- Samantha Menzies joins us as an Engineering Coordinator.
- Rick Jamerson was welcomed to the team as an Estimator.
- Kevin Czaban has come on board as a Construction Coordinator.
- Jeff Adema joins our Projects Group in the role of Project Engineer. Most recently, he’s been supporting ONEC at Sherritt.
- Adam Thornton joins us in the role of Safety Manager.
- Marg Andriuk was hired as our HR Lead.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
At ONEC, we love hearing from our clients. If you have any feedback regarding this newsletter, suggestions for future editions or any other general inquiries, please feel free to contact us.